Published on

It won’t be long before providers will be pitching much-needed flu vaccinations to the patients coming through your front door. Their advice might ring truer if they themselves have had a flu shot, of course. Whether due to a false sense of invincibility or stubbornness, some clinicians defy all logic—and pleading by their employers—and just don’t get vaccinated. In the 2015–16 flu season, in fact, only 79% of healthcare workers got flu shots, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. However, in settings where employers made it a requirement the CDC says the rate jumped up to 95%. At least some of the remaining 5% had legitimate reasons to beg off, such as an allergy or actual religious objections. So, if you want to avoid do as I say, not as I do syndrome, get tough and require your staff to get a flu shot. Back up the rule by posting a list of the organizations that say it should be mandatory; such a list would include the Infectious Diseases Society of American, the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America, the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society, and the Association of Occupational Health Professionals in Healthcare.

Requiring Flu Vaccination Drives Provider Compliance